Write In Between

Monday, March 13, 2006

100 Things About Me

  1. I'm a Catholic.
  2. I'm a John Paul II (theology & philosophy-wise) kinda Catholic.
  3. Married to the same guy 23+ years. (Update: Oct 23, 2007: 25 years! Whoa!)
  4. Yes, it's still good after all that time. Yes, that's really what I mean. We are living proof that Theology of the Body can be lived out. That and so much more.
  5. Met him in high school, but didn't date him until college.
  6. Native New Yorker, but transplanted to Massachusetts in 1994. (From one political sewer to another.)
  7. Three children, boy-girl-boy. All teens. 2 in high school, 1 in middle school. Oldest off to college in the fall 2006.
  8. Undergraduate degree from St. John's University. Major: Communications. Minors: Marketing; Theology
  9. [Updated! Completed my Masters in Theology, May 2008] at Franciscan University of Steubenville.
  10. Worst job: telemarketing.
  11. Best job: Mom.
  12. Other previous career paths: A former youth minister.
  13. A former Long Island radio disc-jockey and writer of commercials.
  14. A former parish pastoral staff member with spiritual development program responsibilities.
  15. Was a stay at home mom for 12 full years. Then worked part-time for 4 years. Now I'm back at home.
  16. I love to read.
  17. I love music. Rock, classical, jazz, and Christian stuff. Just don't offend me.
  18. I own 400 + music CDs but have been trying to cut down, honest.
  19. I play guitar. A rosewood Martin D-1, among others.
  20. Sometimes I play guitar at church.
  21. I write songs.
  22. I write stuff.
  23. I think there's a book in me.
  24. Maybe two.
  25. I think that I'd like to serve the Catholic Church with my writing.
  26. I keep a journal, mostly for my prayer time.
  27. I love photographs of family and friends.
  28. I believe in being a member of a parish, and supporting it financially.
  29. I am a breast cancer survivor. Lord-willing, I am coming up on 10 years cancer-free, Aug. 2006.
  30. Yes, I still go to regular check-ups, and still am occasionally freaked out by it.
  31. Yes, there are others in my family who have the disease.
  32. I raise money for the American Cancer Society every year. Send a donation here.
  33. I love to travel. Road-warrior is my middle name.
  34. Best vacations: Cross-country of the USA, 2000; Italy 2004; Fatima 1998 & 2002; Paris 2002; Sailing in the USVI & BVI -- 1993 & 2006.
  35. Favorite National Parks: Acadia; Yellowstone; Glacier; Grand Canyon; Bryce Canyon.
  36. Places I still want to visit: The Holy Lands, Alaska, Hawaii or any Pacific Island.
  37. Favorite fast food: Taco Bell.
  38. Favorite pizza: anything from the NY-tri-state area.
  39. Favorite food: dark chocolate, isn't it one of the food groups?
  40. Favorite dessert: cheesecake, but when unavailable chocolate ice cream will do.
  41. Things I miss about New York: family and friends; the Hamptons, and warm-water beaches in general; diners; bagels; Chinese food and restaurants that are open late.
  42. Things I have gained in Massachusetts: friends; good educations for my kids; deer in my yard; amazing ice cream; muffins; scones; chowdah. (I've also gained weight in Massachusetts.)
  43. Favorite ball teams: Besides the ones my kids play on??? In New York--the Mets and the Giants. In Massachusetts--the Red Sox and the Patriots.
  44. My favorite memory from the last ten years: actually there are three: each my children receiving their First Holy Communions.
  45. Worst nightmare from the last ten years: Besides "9/11;" my breast cancer diagnosis.
  46. Yes our family lost people we knew in the towers.
  47. Yes I lost a breast, and gained a reconstructed one.
  48. Yes, I still visit and LOVE New York City.
  49. Yes, I can still wear a bathing suit. Or not.
  50. And yes, both of these are somewhat related in that they both require faith, forgiveness and fortitude in order to wake up every day and give praise to God.
  51. My favorite game of all time is Scrabble. I once took 2nd place in a local Scrabble tournament.
  52. My favorite place indoors in my couch opposite our fireplace.
  53. My favorite place outdoors is my Adirondack chair on my back porch, with my hubby on his, too.
  54. Despite my love for beaches, we have a pool.
  55. I love most dogs, and own a Boston Terrier named Brady (after Tom Brady the quarterback.)
  56. Long ago, before children, my husband and I owned three cats: Cleo, Radar & Zeke.
  57. I hate mosquitoes, and other biting bugs. They usually pick me out of a crowd.
  58. I love birds and am an amateur birder. Yes I keep a log.
  59. I loved horse-back riding as a teen, but gave it up as an adult, as my husband does not ride well. (Trust me, its more painful for him to ride, than for me to give it up.)
  60. Ironically, I now have an allergy to horses.
  61. I love spending a day with my husband or a friend. It's a luxury.
  62. I love surprises. Those I get and those I give.
  63. I have read the Bible thro in one year twice.
  64. I love Magnificat for my daily devotions.
  65. I am Marian-devoted. My favorite Rosary meditations are found in this Scriptural Rosary.
  66. I think the must-have reference book every Catholic needs (outside of a personal copy of the Bible) is the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
  67. My top ten favorite saints, in random order are: St. Francis of Assisi, St. Anthony of Padua (aka St. Anthony of Lisbon), St. Catherine of Siena, St. Robert Bellarmine, St. Patrick, St. Peregrine, St. Augustine, St. Frances of Rome, St. Mary Magdalene and St. Peter.
  68. Favorite Blesseds are Teresa of Calcutta, Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima, and Julian of Norwich.
  69. I lift weights for exercise and do exercise videos in the privacy of my living room.
  70. I like to ride bikes.
  71. I ski both alpine and XC. But not very well.
  72. On some days I walk with a limp.
  73. On some days I battle vertigo.
  74. On all days I thank God for the gift of life.
  75. I am the oldest of three sisters.
  76. I have 17 nieces and nephews.
  77. I have little patience for traffic.
  78. I have a lead foot.
  79. After ten years of driving a family-sized van, I now drive a baby turbo known as Mom's Jet(ta).
  80. My family lineage is from Ireland, France, and Poland/Germany.
  81. Blue eyes.
  82. Blondish/brown hair depending on my mood and hair salon budget.
  83. Allergic to most make-up, so I do without.
  84. Favorite flowers: Iris, daisy.
  85. Favorite Catholic authors (non-fiction): Alan Schreck, Scott Hahn, Henri Nouwen, and George Weigel.
  86. Favorite authors (fiction): Jan Karon, Og Mandino, Taylor Caldwell, and Nicholas Sparks.
  87. I keep a fish tank.
  88. I love to snorkel and swim.
  89. I've been a secret fan of Cardinal Ratzinger for years. Now that he's Pope BXVI, I can come out of the closet.
  90. I like intelligent talk radio. My fav is Laura Ingraham.
  91. I like jigsaw puzzles and word puzzles, especially "The Puzzlemaster Presents...".
  92. Favorite movies: Lord of the Rings, It's a Wonderful Life, Casablanca, Ben Hur, Raising Helen, Anne of Green Gables, Pride and Prejudice (the A&E version), Sleepless in Seattle, and The Passion of the Christ.
  93. Television I watch: 7th Heaven and '24'.
  94. I love hearing children tell jokes. Clean ones, of course.
  95. I don't giggle. But when I laugh, it's usually loud.
  96. I am not a great housekeeper.
  97. I can waste time by hanging out on-line too much.
  98. I often lack self-confidence.
  99. I am prone to worry.
  100. For these afflictions, but for so much more beyond my own failings, I go to Adoration of Blessed Sacrament every week.

Copyright 2006 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • I haven't read ALL 100 things about you, but I like that concept - and I like what I did read! I live in MA, too. Are you currently in Ohio, or is there a Steubenville program here in the East?

    By Blogger Mama, at 7:51 AM  

  • Hi ...
    This is my very first ever ever blog post. So, now, you know who it is. :-)
    Comment:
    Definite now that you need to come visit Westford ... Kimball chocolate ice cream! Hmmmmmm.
    Fr. George Weigel will speak soon at St. Katherine's Church in Hudson, NH
    How did you get to know Fr. Rob Jack ... June 10 1998? He's a mutual friend.
    And you may enjoy Sr. Mary Catherine Nolan's book on the Magnificat. (I have a copy)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home