Write In Between

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Coffee, tea, or...

I have a favorite coffee mug.

Whenever I look into my kitchen cabinet, as the coffee brews or as the teapot boils, I choose it. I even go in search of it amidst the contents of a dirty dishwasher. I have other mugs--in fact, quite a souvenir collection from my travels over the years. I have matching dinnerware mugs and a hutch of fine china. But, given the choice, I take my ten year old mug with the name of a Massachusetts farm stand painted on it every time.

It suits me. It was handmade by a local artisan. Its stoneware keeps my coffee warmer than any other mug, and I love the curved lip of the cup, that curves perfectly to my own, never leaving a drip. It has weight and heft. And I love cradling its warmth in my hands while inhaling the aroma of my latest brew.


Something about it says “come and sit awhile” to me. It’s familiar, easily recognized, and it’s one-of-a-kind.

Kind of like my best friendships. Without trying to sound like a celebrate-the-moments-of-your-life advertisement, there’s just something tangibly important about the friends we choose, who bring warmth and companionship to our lives. They too provide nourishment, refreshment and the occasional pick-me-up.

Life shared between cups of tea or pots of coffee brings a sense of come-together-ness. I seek out these little consolations, even when life gets messy. And when life is flowing smooth, there’s nothing quite like savoring the aroma of a sweet friendship.


Copyright 2006 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home