Write In Between

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Lenten Gratitude

Lent gives us an excuse to be more forbearing than usual. The little things can really trip me up but this season gives me a reason to rejoice and be grateful by offering up all the small stuff...like when I put a hole in the knee of my favorite jeans...

I opened up the pantry closet to prepare breakfast and two cereal boxes, a jar of peanut butter and a can of nuts fell on top of me and onto the floor. Thank you, Lord, that we have things to eat! (and help me to teach my charges to put things away neatly for everyone's sake!)

I am washing the bathroom throw rug for the third time this week. Our Boston Terrier--some say 'terrorist'-- just pooped on it again. This is a new quirky behavior. My vet says yes indeed there is a teenage phase after puppyhood around 17 months of age. Well, this dog has hit it a month or two early. Thanks Lord for the sense of humor I am developing through the daily antics of this pooch! So many people cannot own pets for health or financial reasons. Thanks for this little furry blessing!

I am on a 4-hour Lysol rotation. The flu has hit our home. One of us is quarantined, and the rest of us are picking up the slack, and trying to stay germ-free. Thank you, Lord, that we have doctors, and medicines, and consumer products like Lysol and anti-bacterial wipes and soap. In a world where children die every day from disease, thanks for the blessing of these things as we push through day 6 of this illness.

My 18 year old son was summoned for jury duty for 3 weeks in federal court--the 3 weeks right between the end of the quarter, finals week, the senior prom and graduation. Thank you, Lord, that we have a judicial system in this country that we all must participate in. Kindly help us with a deferment into the summer months.

I have not lifted a weight or done a push-up for 6 weeks due to a severe groin pull. Thanks, Lord, for the gift of the exercise deferment and the healing. Help me find the rhythm again!

I recently went shopping for new jeans. I went to the same store that I have bought my favorite jeans from for the last decade. Guess what? My classic straight-legged style is now out of style and no longer sold there. I was astonished to have to give up such a "necessity." Even more astonished was the young saleswoman who tried to help me "move on." Lord, thank you for the moments that humble us, in whatever shape and form they take, and in whatever shape and form we are in.

Amen.

Copyright 2006 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home