Write In Between

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Raising the F.U.N. Quotient

A number of years ago I was away on a chick weekend (three girlfriends in NYC just for the joy of it, following a Women of Faith conference.) Well, not only did we enjoy the conference but we had hysterical adventures both on the streets of New York New York, and in my sister's basement (where we slept) where we came down with a severe case of the sillies. And if I tried to describe it to you, I know I couldn't do the moment justice. But it was there that we dubbed our fun weekend extravagance a necessity to daily life--with fun being defined as frequent, unbridled, nonsense. I will never forget that definition as long as I live.

I can have fun playing a game, reading a book, creating something, or eating ice-cream--just for starters. But for real F.U.N. I need my girlfriends. They bring out the laughter. And as the Scriptures say in the Book of Proverbs 17:22: A cheerful heart is a good medicine, but a downcast spirit dries up the bones. And at my age--who needs dried-up bones?!

Yes, indeed, some of my favorite unbridled nonsense (another variation of f.u.n) has been socializing with these pals, usually over a glass of wine, or at least a coffee or a cup of tea. Ecclesiastes, 9:7: Go, eat your bread with enjoyment, and drink your wine with a merry heart; for God has already approved what you do.

But I write today on the need for FREQUENT unbridled nonsense. A recent phone conversation with a dear friend blatantly pointed out that we both were in serious need of some f.u.n. Life has gotten very heavy of late, and the weight of daily duties have not helped to lighten the mood. Ah yes, we are in serious need of raising our f.u.n. quotient. And so I am on the lookout for opportunities to do just that.

The first one was buying a yo-yo. And yes, actually playing with it. Drove my dog nuts, and that was fun too. When I was in the 4th grade, the yo-yo craze hit my school. I loved my yo-yo. And that memory stays with me. So, now I've got mine on my shelf above the kitchen sink, reminding me to look for the fun in my life. And to look for opportunities to be more playful and cheerful.

The next thing I did to raise the fun quotient was to buy some new music... Cranking a few new tunes on the car stereo does wonders for my "fun" commute of 100 miles a day. And it keeps me rolling. Singing lifts my heart, too!

These small purchases were a little bit of pampering for me. I'm not a shop-a-holic by any means. But these little me-gifts are therapeutic.

But the best source of raising the F.U.N. quotient will be a celebration this weekend with family and friends--coordinated by my girlfriends and myself.

We each have daughters getting confirmed and we are having a joint party--uniting our families for this joyous event. And what a gift to celebrate the next generation of Catholic women coming up behind us! For two years we've taught them the Catechism and had lots of tea and conversation... some good sense and some nonsense stirred together.

My prayer is that the holy gift of Wisdom imparted to these girls will not only show them (and remind me) to lead serious Christian lives, but also show them them that one of the implied gifts of the Spirit is knowing how to have some serious fun once in a while, or a least some unbridled nonsense!

Faith is a necessity, but so are friends and fun. Let us celebrate these blessings with purpose and a merry heart!

Nehemiah 8: 10b: "... for this day is holy to our Lord; and do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength."


Copyright 2006 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home