Write In Between

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Editing

The more I write, the more I learn about editing.

I recently wrote an article that grew out of a talk I gave at church. I worked on the text on and off for over a month. Once I was working a draft--and really happy with it--and the power went off and shut down my computer unexpectedly. I lost 2 hours of work and an inspired piece because I didn't save early and save often.

Still, some days later, I returned to rewrite the article. After several drafts, I needed to edit, refine, rewrite, and shorten it. The piece went from nearly 1200 words down to about 900. Even the day I sent it off to the editor, I still pared it down some more, hacking away at extraneous phrases and checking my grammar. I finally sent it to the editor when I got it "perfect."

And guess what? After all that work, for a piece I was sure was some of my best recent work-- the editor's reply to me was that she loved the concept --but wanted to suggest some edits! It's always humbling to put your work "out there," no matter what your craft. But if you are going to write for a national audience, you're going to find editors that want to "tweak it."

So, she took to her job and then sent it back to me. At that point, I was grateful that my submission was accepted, and still very much recognizable as mine. And to my surprize, it was better. Really. This editor made merciful changes that made the piece read even better. And I was grateful.

I left home to run a few errands after reading my editor's note and her rewrite, and walked outside to the car. It was a gloriously sunny day and I looked up into the sky and I thanked God for this editor.

And then I thought of all the times that Jesus has had to work on me... pruning me, refining me, editing me. And how much better I am when he does.

And so I have a new prayer...

Edit me, Lord Jesus! I am a creative work in your hands. Let my life reflect your Word, and not (so many of) mine. Amen.


Copyright 2006 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home