Write In Between

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Slipping

I've been slipping... been missing in action with regular posts this week. I slipped on the ice about 10 days ago while walking Brady, the family dog. Now, slipping does not mean falling... I kind of made a herky-jerky motion to prevent full impact with the terra firma. Instead, I pulled a muscle that does not allow me to sit for long periods of time, and its cut into my screen time for sure. In clinical terms I suffered a groin pull. And I have to say it ranks right up there with some of my all-time great painful moments.

I can, however, lay down and recline so I've been diligently studying up a storm and that's good as I have an exam coming up soon. I also can drive, even if I can't get in and out of a vehicle very gracefully. I look about 20 years older since I'm limping and stooped at an odd angle, especially getting up from chairs and in and out of the car. I've been offering up my pain for those cancer patients I know, so I am hoping my hopping is doing some good somewhere.

My chiropractor gave me good advice the first few days after the injury, but my pain has been intense, so I went for a round of xrays today. Good grief, just when my winter exercise program was in full swing! Whatever the outcome, I'm prepared for the recovery period: either to studystudystudy or start into the stack of books I've got on my must-read shelf.

In search of my sense of humor as I fumble around limping and groaning, I found this quote from Reinhold Niebuhr, who also gave the world and all 12-steppers the Serenity Prayer:

Humor is the prelude to faith, and laughter is the beginning of prayer.

Copyright 2006 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home