Write In Between

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Music for the Soul

In a former life BC (before children) I was a radio disc-jockey for a Christian radio station in New York. I was also the copywriter (surprized?) and the production chief, which meant I spent hours in the studio creating musical programming and commercials.

Those years changed my approach to music, and ever since, I can never just listen to music without considering the lyrical content. I simply cannot tolerate lyrics that are offensive to my senses--particularly my Christian sensibilities. For my Christian life, it became a matter of encouragement for me to have a musical soundtrack that echoed my Christian walk. Well, I've been hooked on Contemporary Christian music and worship music ever since...having about 400 CDs in my library.

Moving to New England, I discovered that Christian radio stations were scarcer than they were in New York. They are rare, and those that exist are underfunded, and most have weak signal strength.

I remain amazed at how much of the general population remains largely uninformed about the great encouragement modern Christian music is. So, I'm doing my bit to bring you up to speed.

Through the miracle of the world wide web and interconnectivity, you can now hear many radio stations streaming audio on-line. If you have an internet connection, and a set of speakers attached to you computer, you've got all you need.

One of my favs is K-Love that is generated out of California. It is actually a network of stations throughout the USA that transmits the same programming to each affiliate, but if there's no K-Love station near you, all you have to do is click
here.

Here's a gutsy independent called WMSJ Joy Radio out of Maine, click
here and go to "listen on-line."

One of the better Catholic efforts out there is Relevant Radio, worth a click
here.

And finally, a growing getting-better-with-time Catholic online radio is Omegarock. Find it
here and go to "listen now."

I suggest you bookmark these sites or add them to your "favorites" so you can keep the good stuff handy to listen to when you are surfing, blogging or just doing your homework or housework.

Be encouraged!

Copyright 2006 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Hi Pat,

    Thanks for the info!! I now have some great music to listen to while working on the computer.

    Earline

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home