Write In Between

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Feast of the Assumption: A Journal Entry

Dear Momma Mary,

On feast days like this, I wonder what to say to you. After all, you are The Woman. Major Catholic Feast Days abound in your honor. The History of Salvation passed in and through your willing heart. You are The Woman for all eternity who merits favor with the Trinity as Daughter, Mother and Holy Spouse.

Actually, in my own little way, I'm trying to do the same--just the part about being a good daughter, mom and spouse, I mean. I struggle with the holiness of it all many a day. But since I've gotten to know you these last 20 years, you've given me a few clues on how to live it more honestly--with a passionate attachment to your Son, Jesus. And with a deep imagination that allows my spirit to ponder the action of The Spirit in my own life.

Thanks for your holy influence in my life. So much of has come from moments together praying through the mysteries of the rosary--and watching how those mysteries play out in my own life. And, yet, so much has also came from the tangible touches you sent along the way--from the holy women you have sent to accompany me on this pilgrimage. Somehow, the ones who have touched me most were women who also held a special devotion to you. I guess they were taking their cues from you all along for they too have loved, served, and mentored me. How much have I delighted in the joy of their company! And when I do, I realize it pales before the day that we will one day meet, Lord-willing, in paradise. That idea still blows my mind. (Sorry for the lame 60s idiom.) But it's true. Meanwhile, I'm still counting on your help. So, pray for this sinner, now, and at the hour... wherever it comes. I'll be looking for you to be there, ok?

Thanks for showing me my path to daughterhood in the Father, by allowing your life to be vulnerable enough and empty enough to be filled with abundant love for God and for others.

Thank you for showing me your faithfulness, and loyalty, and prayerfulness, and graciousness, and chastity, and simplicity, and humility, and, most dear, your servant's-heart, so that I may continue to grow in those virtues as a spouse.

And you have my most sincere gratitude for mothering me as I needed it over the years as I mothered my own children.

Thank you for being my prayer partner, my confidant, and my intercessor. Thanks for your countless inspirations that get me through my day, my week, my years.

Thanks for rescuing me when I've needed it most. Thanks for taking an interest in the things I do. Thanks for pointing me to Jesus. Most of all, thanks for embracing Him so that in Him you could embrace us all, including me.

Amen.


Copyright 2007 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Pat,
    What a beautiful post! I love the fact that you use a journal entry. Several of the women participating have done a letter to our Lady- it adds such an intimate and personal dimension.
    Thanks for sharing and God Bless!

    By Anonymous Karin, at 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home