Write In Between

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mush for brains

I'm writing this as an end-of-semester bleary-eyed refugee from the finishthe20pageresearchpaperandstudyforareallyhardfinal zone...

I have mush for brains. I've been in lockdown study mode for days, but now I'm finally done with my latest course. Today was my weekend, or so I told my son, who innocently asked if I could relax now. Not when I am looking down on the stack of books for the two courses I am to take this summer starting tomorrow. Did I mention I have mush for brains? What I need is a vacation, but what I've got is just more schoolwork to gear up for.

I am in that weird place where someone begins to ask, what is this all about? what am I doing here? whose idea was this, anyway? and the ultimate dubious inquiry, "will I make it???" Unfortunately, today, I'm not sure I have the fortitude to answer those questions. I am too busy longing for a simpler life.

Today I was counting up the credit load I still need to graduate at this time next year. Note to self, never do that when one is hormonal.

I don't really want to complain. This path is one of my choice. No one is forcing me to do this. So many would love to be in my shoes. And yes, I am so grateful for the opportunity to study this subject (theology) and to grow in new ways --even at my age. But honestly, today, I'm feeling a little road weary. The way seems blurry and I'm having trouble picking up the trail that I was on.

Lord, have mercy on the middle-aged grad student who keeps losing her reading glasses, and falls asleep on a good book, and needs to improve her typing skills so she can hand in her homework on time! Remind me now and then that you have ordained this path for me. Keep me smart enough to pass my exams and humble enough to be awed by the gift of knowledge of You, Your Word and Your Church, for the sake of the Kingdom....

Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom, pray for us!
St. Thomas Aquinas, patron of scholars, pray for us!
Amen.

Copyright 2007 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • Pat,
    The road may seem long, but will be worth it in the end! Your work is very important to so many. I will send some prayers your way this week in the hope that they help lighten the load a little. Take care! Lisa

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home