Write In Between

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Writer's Wednesday -- St Therese of Lisieux

One day, Leonie, thinking she was too big to be playing any longer with dolls, came to us with a basket filled with dresses and pretty pieces for making others; her doll resting on top. "Here my little sisters, choose; I'm giving you all this." Celine stretched out her hand and took a little ball of wool that pleased her. After a moment's reflection, I stretched out mine saying: "I choose all!" and I took the basket without further ceremony...

This little incident of my childhood is a summary of my whole life; later on when perfection was set before me, I understood that to be a saint one had to suffer much, seek out always the most perfect thing to do, and forget self. I understood, too, there were many degrees of perfection and each soul was free to respond to the advances of Our Lord, to do little or much for Him, in a word, to choose among the sacrifices He was asking. Then, as in the days of my childhood, I cried out: "My God, 'I choose all!' I don't want to be a saint by halves, I'm not afraid to suffer for You, I fear only one thing: to keep my own will; so take it, for 'I choose all' that You will!"

-----St. Therese of Lisieux, Story of a Soul.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home