Write In Between

Monday, August 28, 2006

10 Years Cancer- Free

Today, August 28, 2006, I celebrated 10 years cancer-free.

To mark the occasion, my husband and I went to the 9am Mass at our home church, then went out to breakfast. Then we tended to a myriad of family-related tasks throughout the midday, only to find each other again around 5pm to escape out to dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. We toasted life with every thing we did today! And I'm so glad that he has been the one who has shared this walk with me, and been my closest friend through it all.

You know you do alot of living in 10 years... I am truly grateful for every breath and every day and every hug and every tear. Here's a few of the glorious (and some random) statistics:

By the grace of God's merciful hand I have...

...seen 10 more birthdays, and 10 more wedding anniversaries (Our 24th will be this Oct. 23rd.)

...celebrated not just my birthdays, but those of my immediate family! I saw my husband thru another 10 years, plus I saw one kid go from 3 to 13, the next go from 6 to 16 and the eldest from 9 to 19! That's 50 birthdays in all--and not even counting the extended family and good friends!

...I've been privileged to make several Spiritual Pilgrimmages: 2 to Fatima, Assisi, Siena, and Rome. Plus I've lived a CURSILLO (DeColores!) and made numerous retreats.

...traveled across the US to the West Coast and back, as well to parts of the world with my family (thanks mostly to hubby's frequent flyer miles): England, Portugal, Italy, France, Canada, and USVI, BVI, St. John.

...I have eaten 3650 dinners (not all made by me, but most of them!)

...lived with 2 dogs, 2 hamsters, 30 fish. (Not all at the same time.)

...enjoyed the blessing of 2 popes.

...gone from squinting to "readers: to bifocals.

...purchased 5 cars, 4 major appliances, and an untold number of music CDs.

....went from a landline to a pager to a cell phone (to ultimately having teens with them too! Yikes!)

...witnessed my perennials grow.

...saw my new parish church built.

...took a job, work it for four years, quit the job to come "back home."

....worked countless volunteer hours at 3 different schools and at church.

...'lived to tell about' putting an addition on our home.

... joyously had two kids with first communions.

...rejoiced over 2 confirmations. (One more to go....)

...recently got choked up at one high school graduation.

...finally, saw the first one off to college.

...completed 30 credits towards the Masters Degree in Theology (only 24 more to go!) (Why am I blogging? I should be studying!)

...began a blog. (Oh yeah, that's why.)

...published numerous articles.

...took up XC skiing, but even better, returned to downhill skiing after a 13 year hiatus.

...received a new setting for my engagement ring, courtesy of my boyfriend! (That same guy named above!)

...have driven to and from 888 music lessons.

...supervised 240 months of my kids' homework (not to mention my own!)

...have taught two teens how to drive and sat in the back seat for two successful road tests.

...have read all of Jan Karon's Mitford series.

...have had 11 crowns added (not to my head) to my teeth.

...saw countless special occasions like baptisms and communions for nieces and nephews, report cards, school events, sporting events, dance recitals, and other notable achievements of family and friends.

And I have my loving savior, Jesus Christ, to thank for it all.

I am living The Cure.


Copyright 2006 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home