Write In Between

Monday, December 05, 2005

Singing alto

I am an alto. On some days, a tenor. A good friend of mine is trying to talk me into joining a community choral society. She is a soprano. She's already a member, and is threatening to sing alto for the upcoming concert season in order to try to lure me in. I hope I didn't offend her when I laughed openly in her face.

For years I have teasingly told her that the altos make the sopranos look good... and she has lived with the the notion that she can't find a spontaneous harmony. We're a formidable duet when we sing together at church services, but I can't hold a candle to her talent and her training. I sing best when I am in a supporting role. Her voice was made for opera and the classics. Me, I'm more your country music kind of crooner. When I can't reach a high note, I harmonize.


We both love to sing for Jesus, and it is both a strange and wonderful glue that is part of our friendship. Singing together as prayer in church is one thing, but frankly, much as I love classical music, having to memorize its scores scares me mute.

Tonight she called me again to press her case for my joining the alto section in the chorus. When I stopped laughing long enough, I realized that I am simply moved by her gesture--never would I have expected a soprano to "lower" herself to make way for an alto. My friend says her reasons are so she can learn the skill of harmonizing with other voices... a skill most sopranos have rare need of. But I think she is trying to figure out a way to share our love for music once again.

I'm not sure what is stopping me, short of a collossal crisis of confidence. A few years ago it was I who politely gave my pal an encouraging nudge to use her gift in a choral setting beyond the confines of our local church. I think she is returning the favor.


Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • I am the aforementioned soprano. Music lifts my soul. I've taken voice lessons for years but have never really "done anything with it" except enjoy.

    For years Pat encouraged me to join a local chorus. Finally two years ago, I joined one. After two months, the director decided to retire & the chorus was disbanned. Boy, am I glad I didn't wait!! After a quiet spring season, I joined another group. I am so glad I did. Life isn't a dress rehearsal.

    Every Monday night I drive home from rehearsal with a soaring heart. How can I not invite my musical soulmate to join me in such an experience? True, she may not have the same feelings as she gets behind the wheel, but music is meant to be shared - sometimes in the listening and sometimes in the learning & singing.

    Before I sing, I always pray to Our Lady, Queen of the Angels, to let the angels sing through me & touch the hearts & souls of my listeners in the way that God wants to touch them. When Pat & I sing together our voices blend beautifully. Indeed the prayer of our song has been an instrument of grace for many. When someone complements us after a service, we know the source & praise God for the gift. He has truly blessed our friendship in this way.

    Pat often ribs me about not being able to sing "off the page". I want to be able to do that, but, as a soprano, I've never really had to. After all, we usually have the melody. For me, the only way I'll get there is by force. So this soprano, who can sustain a high C, is contemplating "lowering" herself by two octaves to sing off the page. I simply invite Pat to sing "on the page" next to me 'cause I think it'll touch her soul, too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:45 AM  

  • I have been told for years that I cant sing. But I have also been told that I can sing alto, and/or harmony. I have joined a church that has invited me to join the choir, and I enjoy singing songs about my LORD. So how do I know if I can truly sing or not?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 PM  

  • I am female and sing alto or tenor. I cannot read music and have no training. I have a good voice when I know the song because my voice is then strong and confident. First, I hear a song in alto or tenor and then I mimic it to add strength to the choir. That was my old choir. My new choir in my new church is instructed differently by a younger director with years of music history behind him. He instructs the choir with the assumption that they can read music and gives direction to the exclusion of those who have no idea what he is talking about. He chooses really hard music. Turns out that it is so frustrating for me and distracts from worship that I quit the choir until I can get formal training. So sad, but true. Maybe the reason the above alto does not want to join choir experiences some of the same experience. Not sure. If it is not the case, then perhaps taking the view that singing in a choir is not really about you, but about leading the congregation to worship. If leading is not your thing, then just decline. With a beautiful voice, your probably bringing those sitting in the pews around you to worship and you don't even know it. -L.-

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home