Write In Between

Friday, October 28, 2005

Giving up "my plans"

Today is one of those days that I didn't plan on, and I'm submitting "my plan" to the plan that is unfolding. "My day" was to start with exercise, breakfast, and and my weekly adoration hour. Then off to study for my soon-coming midterm exam. Oh yeah, meanwhile, the plumbing crew would be at the house to install the new oil burner. So, no heat, no hot water.

Instead, I have a child home sick that needed a pediatrician visit, a trip to the pharmacy, and a stay-home day. That being said, the front part of my day is gone, and now, with the heat off, I am building a fire in the fireplace to keep us warm. I have even put a sweater on our Boston Terrier who is quite cold and going nervously-crazy with the clanging of pipes and banging of the ongoing installation.

I often have to remind myself that this is the life I've chosen: to be flexible, to be caring, to be "at-home" for my family. But, honestly, how often do I "forget" that "my list" of things to do, is often a "suggestion" of how the day "should" go. In a small way, it is a "dying to self", and I realize how, even after so many years, I still am selfish enough to resist wanting to yield my own plans to the needs of my loved ones.

So, I'm kindling the fire, guiding my daughter in making bread for a school project, consoling the neurotic pooch, and will, eventually, sit down to pray and journal (maybe next to the fire?) and get the studying done... All in good time.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home