Write In Between

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Allergic Reaction

Anticipating my anniversary celebration, I eagerly sat in my hair stylist's chair, ready to let her work her magic with my gray hairs. Her suggestion of trying a lower-cost semi-permanent color instead of my "usual" color met with my economic approval. So, I went home happy, both with my new, improved short-over-the-ear hair and my savings.

Little did I know that a day later, when I washed my hair after trying my new "color processing, " that I'd have itchy ears. Not that noticeable, but still itchy on and off. Oh well, towel off and get dressed for my anniversary date with hubby.

Later that evening, as the itchiness continued, I couldn't wait to take off the earrings I had on after our lovely night on the town. I looked into the mirror over the sink and understood why. My ear lobes were red and swollen, and there was a slight swelling over my eye lids as well! Now, I had just spent several hours staring across the table from my husband as we enjoyed our meal at a Boston restaurant... He didn't notice a thing! I called him over to have a look at my ears--until I pointed it out, he hadn't noticed my red, mishapen lobes. It's moments like this that a woman doesn't know if her husband is so enchanted with her that subtle details like an emerging allergic reaction escape his gaze, or just the opposite--that he doesn't really notice me at all! (Which would be cause for an allergic reaction of a different kind.) Since it was our anniversary, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, and he assured me that I looked fine to be out in public. It was also fortunate that my seasoned-business-traveling man keeps Benadryl in his shave kit.

Three days later, running low on Benadryl, I decided my slow recovery from the hair product debacle did not compliment my short, ears-showing haircut. I stopped into my local doctor's walk-in clinic and got checked out.

To my surprise this is a common occurrence in women. I was prescribed a stronger medication and advised to avoid the allergen in the future. You can be sure I will.

But the question remains, what am I to do with my "allergy" to gray hair?

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home