Write In Between

Monday, July 20, 2009

Umbilical Cord Blood Banks and Why We Need Them!

Full disclosure: I'm a breast-cancer survivor. I'm also a Christian who is strongly pro-life. So when I see steps in medicine that help fight disease while not offending my pro-life values, I have to stand up and applaud.

Here in Boston, we've got our first public umbilical cord blood bank.

The Physician for Life website offers all these explanations as to why this is important, but it boils down to that stem cells collected from umbilical cord blood from a donated cord after the birth of a baby is an ethical way to harvest stem cells for the prevention and curing of diseases.

You can also check out the cord registry site here. But more important, >here is the list of over 60 diseases that have been treated using cord blood since 1988.

Donations centers for cord blood listed here.

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • Hi Pat,

    I would love to donate my cord blood but there aren't any places to donate in my area--that I've found. Can you tell me where else to look?

    I'd appreciate any help on this!
    Lynn
    themom@franktribe.com

    By Anonymous Lynn, at 9:59 PM  

  • Thanks Lynn... I've update the post with some locations listed below. Hope something works out for you.

    By Blogger Pat Gohn, at 10:23 PM  

  • In my very strong opinion, banking cord blood should not be controversial what-so-ever. In fact, due to the benefits the cord blood may one day offer if ever necessary, banking it should become a requirement or automatic. The only thing that should be controversial is the COST involved.

    By Anonymous cord blood, at 3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home