Write In Between

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Dazzled by the Moon

Just came in tonight from a walk on the beach and dinner with my husband (both of which were sandwiched between carpooling obligations for our son.) And yet I'm grateful for the respite of time away together, even if it is a few hours inbetweenalltheotherstuffwehavegoingon. You might know what I mean if your children are returning to school this week, as mine are.

For a brief few moments, before the mosquitoes overtook us, we stood on the beach and just soaked up the most remarkable moonrise that I've seen in my entire life. Never saw one so orange and so huge and so, well, other-worldly. It was truly one of those moments when you realize that the moon hasn't really gotten larger, it's only your vision that is affected by the angle in which you view the moon. But you are dazzled by the view all the same.

That would be a good way to describe today. And the meaning it has for me.

For 11 years ago today, I had a mastectomy that saved my life from breast cancer. I just didn't know it at the time, yet that was our hope. And so, since then, whenever I hear the priest at Mass lift up our prayers, "living in joyful hope", I am reminded that that is exactly the posture I want my life to reflect: that I am living in joyful hope.

I am inching farther and farther away from living as a survivor, to living as one who is cured. Day by day, moon rise to moon rise.

Tonight, I saw my hope rise there on the beach... as if that moment was planned there, after all these years, by the One Who Knew I'd be standing there at that time of day, at precisely that moment as the moon came into view over the horizon. As the night wore on, we watched that moon rise in the sky and "shrink" in size. Indeed, eleven years ago, my cancer was a huge deal in my life. It was an ominous rising, not a beautiful one. But today, as I went to Mass, and enjoyed a day of peace and recreation, and finally, had this wonderful beach and dinner date with hubby, I realized that because of Christ, the angle of my vision has changed... cancer was once was this large looming presence in my life. Today, as I change my the angle of vision, it has shrunk in size. Now it is hope that looms large.

And I have a lifetime to give back my thanks for it. And I am dazzled by it.

Copyright 2007 Patricia W. Gohn

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • This is beautiful. I am so glad that you are still here with us :)

    Thank for your comments on my blog. I will look forward to your article on "Catholic Mom." Speaking of which, I was wondering if you would be willing to share some of your articles with my website as well. Now that the boys are in school, I am hoping to have more time to put more articles up on my site. Anytime you would like to email me something, I would be happy to use it!

    Thank you,
    Patrice
    http://spiritualwomanthoughts.blogspot.com
    http://www.spiritualwoman.net

    By Blogger Patrice Fagnant-MacArthur, at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home